Thursday, July 20, 2006

trip down babee lane..

I found this in someone's blog..an ode to the female psyche after childbirth and the trauma it brings to out body's self-image.


Naked
i stand in front of the mirror, naked. i cringe at what i see. my body is worn and torn, the marks from carrying a child ever present. my breasts, once perfectly shaped and beautiful are now large and saggy, repulsive to look at. my stomach, once flat and smooth, is now covered with stretch marks, fat, no muscle tone. i am ashamed. i will never be beautiful again.

but today i tell myself, although it is hard to look at and it is indeed ugly, it is a reminder that an amazing human being was formed inside of me and those marks and stretched out skin are proof that life grew inside of me. it is a reminder i made love to a man i adore, life was created and my body was home to those beautiful baby for 9 months. my stomach was stretched as he grew, my breasts were enlarged with the milk that would sustain him for the first months of his life. it takes my breath away when i think back to having him inside of me, to the miracle of his birth, seeing him for the first time and it makes it easier to accept the mess my body has become. looking at him, kissing him, i say these marks on my body were a small price to pay for the amazing gift that grew inside of me for 9 months and have filled my life with love and purpose everyday since he was born.
i may be ugly, my body repulsive to look at
but i am a mother
and i am blessed.

PS. I do not think I am ugly or repulsive..I think I am FREAKING BEAUTIFUL ..heh. I posted this as an ode to what a Mother's body goes through in the thorughs of pregnancy, birth, and getting back to shape afterward. It is an uphill battle people, but so worth it.

4 Comments:

At 8:11 AM, Blogger ! said...

wow..That's so sad...I would imagine that having a kid is the most wonderful thing in the world. I can't even begin to think of the negitives in something so positive and priceless!.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger REDLADEE said...

The author emotes love for her child, but not love for herself. She sees the aftermath of her body, and how you expect your body to bounce back ASAP after the baby. But alas, that is not usually the case. I will write a blog about it..its a helluva helluva. lol.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger REDLADEE said...

The author emotes love for her child, but not love for herself. She sees the aftermath of her body, and how you expect your body to bounce back ASAP after the baby. But alas, that is not usually the case. I will write a blog about it..its a helluva helluva. lol.

 
At 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said. I hope one day I have a saggy top and a kid to show for it. Wish me luck. Love you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home