Wednesday, June 28, 2006

MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY..(real high) MONEY...

Just had someone up in here trying to solicit funds for a FAMILY trip to the Indigenous Games up in Denver, in July.

Ok, I understand and applaud the young man who was selected to play & represent for the b-ball Native peeps. Big ups to you ...HOWEVER, why is my store supposed to pay for the FAMILY to get up there & watch? I mean, I understand the need & desire for the family to go up to Denver and watch their relative play, as I would if my LIL MAN was selected to go, BUT IF YOU KNEW YOU WERE GOING OR EVEN THAT THERE WAS A POSSIBILITY OF YOUR ENTIRE FAMILY GOING, WHY IN THE HELLZ DIDNT YOU SAVE UP SOME ZHAALI (aka CASH MONEY)FOR THE FAMILY TO GET UP THERE?

I know for a fact that any participant under the age of 18 has their travel, place to stay, and food taken care of,...pariticipants over 18 must make their own way..AS IT SHOULD BE, I BELIEVE.

So why does this young man need cash? I understand also that some "mad money" (as my MOM likes to call it), is needed for gatorade, snacks, phone calls, lil gifts, etc is needed, but isn't that money that the family should provide?

Why are we as Native people so quick to ask for a handout?

Also, the Indigenous Games are freaking July 2-8th, which is literally in a couple of days..so why wait to the freaking last second to ask for a handout? Which is what it is folks..really.

See, I have no probs with donating for Native Peeps, especially our Youth, if it is done with some effort put into the solicitation. Do a food sale, raffle, car wash, run for dollars, have a yard sale, SOMETHING..don't just sit on your ass and expect peeps to give your lazy ass money. For realz.

Two words people: PLAN AHEAD!!

I understand that at times you can't always plan ahead, say something happens to your family back home, emergencies, unforseen audits..lol. But seriously, if you plan ahead, most likely you'll have the cash in the hand to do things you want to do or have things you want to have.

Case in point, D and I are going to Vegas in a week. We have a jar that we have been putting moolah in for our trip for about 2 mos. Each pay period we drop some bills in, or if we have extra cash, even change, in it goes. Lets just say that we will be having a freaking blast in Vegas!! no worries, no going into debt...for realz.

We are also going to be saving up for a hi-def BIG AZZ plasma T.V. for Christmas, Christmas 2007 mind you. So we have 6 mos. to get there..planning yo.

See, like certain members of my family, they live well beyond their means. They have to have the right car, with rims mind you, even if it gets repo'ed 6 mos. later. They have to have nice furniture, even if it comes from Rent-A-EXPENSE ASS FURNITURE store. They have to go on a trip to some vastly expensive destination, even if they can't afford it, and expect the Patriarch to foot the bill for thier RICH IN THIER OWN MINDS lifestyle. Geez, this bugs me to no end.

I have been, and will always be a saver. I hoard my money. If my checking account goes below a certain level I go nuts and go on a NO-BUYING ANYTHING spree. I have a savings account that I contribute to every month. Not to say that I do not have my sprees yo, or that I live a very frugal life. I love the movie theatre, eating out at Flickas, buying some expensive chauniez @ Victorias ( yes i mention it alot but I LOVE IT!), and indulging my lil Man's dvd collection, but I also work very hard for the cash in the hand.

I have worked since I was 12 years old, picking up trash @ our family store. I have worked every summer since then, and beyond. I worked all through college and have never really taken a break, unless you want to call a break taking care of my newborn Son exclusively for 3 mos. (WHICH I WOULDN'T BY THE WAY).

I remenber one summer on a road trip with some WOMEN (who I wouldn't call Ladee'z by the way), who were strapped for cash. We were on a two week road trip at the end of the summer before our (well supposed to be, but turned out to be only MY) senior year at ASU. We had planned this all summer, a summer which I had worked hard and was rewarding myself with a much needed break before my last year at busting my ass at school. We traveled all the way to the East coast, staying with peeps that they knew, or with my driving all nite to save cashola. I remember their living lean ways, which we all did, to save money. I could of eaten Mickey D's more, but it was considered expensive by my traveling companions so we didn't. I remember stopping in the Black Hills on our way back home, and I wanted to buy something, I dont really remember what it was, but something to commerate our trip. I remember them saying, "wow, we are so broke. I wish we could buy something nice too. It must be nice to have money." I felt so bad. I felt guilty for having money, for about 10 seconds. Then I realized I had worked my ass off all summer to have money for this trip and to have my bills paid so I could relax and enjoy the end of my summer. Their lazy asses didnt do shit. Literally. Well, they probably did shit but you know what I mean. Why should I freaking feel guilty because I WORKED to have money, while their complaining, whiny, broke asses didnt do SH*T and had nada to show for it.., and were trying to make me feel guilty? F THAT. I bought whatever and left they wallowing in thier misery, I mean, was I supposed to be guilted into buying their lazy asses something? Sides, I was the one who was left hanging with the gas bill on my credit card. Bitches.

Anywho, it just gets to me when people expect something for nothing. If you want something, work for it. As Shi'Ta always says.." If you are lazy, you will always be poor." Ain't that the truth.

3 Comments:

At 4:10 PM, Blogger psbowe said...

Ha haa! Couldn’t agree more. Great post Dre!

I’ve been in trouble before for shouting the same opinions that you express. Totally frustrates me, it’s like just cuz you hold a steady job, a home; “they” look at you like you should foot the bill for their “sorry behinds.” Then they shout about, correct me if I’m wrong, but rest of society(gov) owes them something for things that happened in the past(to our ancestors)! It’s history now, time to move on, we’re all a completely new generation for God’s sake.

Or just b/c someone in the family is actually getting somewhere or getting recognition, they want in on it, never minding all the hard work that this person has poured into making it. When all this time all they had their eye balls glued to a TV screen day in and day out!
When it comes time that somehow they get a huge sums of money in their hands and you need someone to float you a loan, they’re in no hurry or mood to help you(went thru during my 2nd yr in college after my car accident). Usually they blow it all in less than month, more like a week! …no thoughts of any kind of investments exist the minds of these individuals, just some quick deteriorating material they hardly can afford in the end.

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger REDLADEE said...

I hate that whole entire argument about "WE ARE OWED..my ancestors were the first ones here..blah blah." Yes I understand that and acknowledge that, but at the same time, does that make us as Native peeps not accountable for our own actions today? I am so tire of that whole "POOR ME POOR ME" mentality..when are we as Native peeps gonna look toward the future and not only see the bad in the past? I think we all just need a kick in the ass...lol.

Thanks ladee.. you ROCK.

 
At 5:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home