Wednesday, March 14, 2007

"slipping into darkness"

This morning I ran in the darkness.

I rolled over and contemplated running. Originally that was my plan for 5a.m. I felt bad as yesterday I was unable to run due to some family emergencies that entailed me to run to Sac City and be there for a loved one. So I didnt' get home till 9 pm, hungry, tired and sweaty.

I awoke tired and achy in my arms and calves.

Monday I had taken my Kikass KIKBOX class for the usual hour, but this class had my calves shaking from fatigue and my arms were blown out from punching the hell out of the air. heh.

I dont' know what our teacher drank before this class, but man was she on fire. Good for me, bad for my puny arms and calves. Man, I mean I thought I was in some sort of shape, but this class just laid it all out there. Then at the end, it was semi-embarrassing as she had as doing this bootie dance/shake what your momma gave you move at the very end. It entailed shaking your bootie in and out while jumping up and down, thus burning out your calve muscles and making my runner's jello shake like it was gonna fall off. I couldn't even watch myself in the mirror it was so embarrassing. As a Native woman, I am proud to say that I don't have the dreaded Indian Butt, but as the same time I don't want to be shaking it for the whole entire WHITE LA Fitness to see..lol.

anywho..point is, I was tired.

Hit up the park at 530 am. Stretched it out for a bit, then took it to a light jog with my Garmin buzzing away that my ass was too slow. Took it up a notch and the buzzing stopped and my limps embraced the darkness.

No jams this am as my ipod died during the night, juiceless. Kinda pissed bout that but then it's always good to run sans music every once in a while. Its nice to hear the world waking up around you and to listen to your breathe take up the mornings rythm.

I took it out and rolled on in the darkness, taking a new path under some streetlights, illuminating the path with orange light. It was still so dark that at times it was hard to make out the path in front of me. I just hoped there was no big rocks that would make me eat dirt.

I ran this new path kinda giddy with not really knowing where I was going. Turned to a familiar path that ran down a canal that was pitch black and kinda scary looking.

Pushng myself into the dark I ran with a little thril of the danger. Stupid I know but that's kinda how I am..stupid enough to enjoy the thrill of a little danger. I had my shank ready to go, watchign the sides for any movement in which to run away from. Up and back with the light becoming bright e nough for me to see the path and not feel to edgy.

Back to the orange light I ran.

In total I ran 7 miles this morning in 1:03:37. 9:05 avg per mile with my fastest time being a 6:32 pace at one point.

I like running before the world wakes up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home