Thursday, August 03, 2006

blisters are not your friend either..

I am writing from the office, waiting for my brother-man to come back to the store to unlock the door to his office where I have locked my car keys, and subsequently, my keys to said office as well. STOOPID!

Anywho, its been that kind of day.

On jetting back from Globe after a fun-filled afternoon meeting with some biz peeps, I hit up the LA Fitness in Gilbert to get my run on before my evening of birthday parties and Hooters clam chowder. I got a secret thriller chill at running at a La Fitness that wasn't my usual haunt. Kind of like when I used to sneak out at nite during high school, will I get caught and is the risk worth the possible jail time? heh. I entered the facility and was kinda disappointed to find it looked almost exactly like the Snottsdale La Fitness. Booked it to the locker room and proceeded to change into my workout gear. Upon pulling out my shoes, I realized I forgot to pack my socks. Freak! I hesitated for like a second and thought, "FUGG IT." Pulled on my beautiful pristine white Nike's sans socks and ran up the stairs to a treadmill. BIG MISTAKE. I had laced up my shoes pretty tight, thinking I've run with out socks before, just as long as I get my 5 miles in im golden. BIGGER MISTAKE. I put in my pace at good ole 6.6 and proceeded with my 9:05 minute miles. The first mile had me humming to Leela James and watching CNN. I felt no pain. Mile 2, jetted up the pace to 6.8, 8:56 minute miles and I was good. Mile 2.5 had me feeling my right foot go bad. I mean I literally felt my blisters form and begin to rub against the insole of my shoe. Then, POP. Nice bloody smooshiness grating against the back of my ankle on my left side. From there, it all went downhill.

You may ask, why the hells didn't you stop when you felt the blisters form? much less pop? Let me tell you this, because I wanted to at least finish my 3.5 miles dammit. Runners will feel me on this one. I just had to finish.

Mile 3 had me limping on my right foot, but I compensated by relying on my right outer foot, exerting all my weight there and on my toes, and thus, you guessed it, forming some new pretty blisters on my piggies.

I was a blister fool.

I got to thinking about peeps who had complained about blisters before and how I thought they were all suckers. I have never had blisters that I could feel and actually make me want to stop running before. I mean, sure I've had blisters, probably dozens, but not to the point where they affected my running and actually made me think of stopping cause they were bothering me that much to actually make me want to stop. I pushed the blisters down in my mind, and got to thinking about peeps who fomrned blisters during a race, such as a marathon or 1/2 marathon. Dang those suckas had some balls if their blisters were feeling like mine were at the moment, and they freaking finished the run! Hats off to those running fools...for realz.

Mile 3.5 had me counting down till I could end the agony. I felt my form becoming ragged and ugly, probably looking like someone who was drunk on a treadmill.

I hobbled off the treadmill at 32 minutes. I had accomplished my 3.5 in 30 minutes with a 2 minute cooldown.

Sucka that I am, I hobbled over to the bikes to compensate for my lost running mileage. I did a mile in 5 minutes. Still, feeling mile-less, I hobbled over to the elliptical and did 11 minutes.

Hobbled down and stretched out with a 100 ab crunches on the stablity ball.

Hobbled over to the locker room and proceeded to the shower.

BIGGEST MISTAKE.

You could hear the echo of my screaming out "SHIT!" throughout the hallways. Never, never, never, never jump into a hot shower with fresh open wounds of blisters that burn when your salty sweat drips down and embeds itself in your red achy wound. I bit my lips together and ran them under the water and sucked it up.

Moral: NEVER EVER EVER EVER run without socks, no matter how tough you think you are. You will end up a sucker with ugly welty blisters and cheap ass mileage to show for it.

Damn.

Workout for the week so far:

Mon: 30 minutes kickbox class. (sucky teacher so I left early). 20 minutes bike.
Tues: Rest.
Weds: 5 miles in 45:05 9:01 minute miles.
Thurs: 3.5 miles in 30 minutes. 8:56? minutes miles. 5 minutes on the bike. 16 minutes on the elliptical.

1 Comments:

At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OuCh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home