Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Vote ...or shut the hell up.!

I've voted since I was eligible...going on 12 years strong.

Even though I have to make the trip home to vote, its always so worth it. Leading up to today, I researched the issues, discussed the politicians and issues with my family and those whose opinions I value, and even took a little piece of yellow post-it paper with me into the booth to ensure that I voted correctly.

I am so worn out.

I felt a twinge of sadness however that I could not vote for my San Carlos council, including the all important Tribal Chairperson. Sigh, even though I have the blood of two running through my beautiful fat veins, the law says I am only able to vote in the tribal election of which I am enrolled. Bah, red tape.

Anywho..I did my duty and I voted.

-----

I know that there are Native peeps who do not vote for whatever reason, abstaining due to political views, genocidal views, what have you. I respect their opinion. If it makes sense..heh.

But I believe that every vote counts, no matter how virginal and dimwitted that may sound, I choose to believe that this country at least allows us the gift of maintaing some sense of control in our lives pertaining to choosing our leaders and the rules that we allow to govern us. How many other countries in this world allow their citizens the same?

I give respect to this country from which I have been born and love. I understand and acknowledge that this country has not done my people right, however, I believe that if anything is to change in this country, the change begins with one person at a time. Saying that, I believe that we as Native people can not rely on that tired excuse of the country owes us something. Yes, as tribes I do believe that, water rights, land rights, sovereignty issues, property rights, etc need to be dealt, however with regard to individual issues, why can't we do for ourselves?

If we truly wanted to be seperate from our country, we would eskew its public assistance, governmenet assistance in the form of our Indian Health services, federal grants for education, etc.

I believe that if you really have a problem with this country that my ancestors, my grandfather, cousins, uncles, etc. have fought for, then maybe its time to check out and check into a country that isn't the United States.

Peace and Blessings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home